High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is a popular workout program that promises quick weight loss and improved fitness. However, for those who are not in good physical shape, starting a HIIT program can be challenging and discouraging. Here are some tips to help you get started with HIIT without burning out:
- Start Slow: It's okay to begin at a pace that is comfortable for you. You can start with short bursts of high-intensity work and gradually increase the duration over time. Alternatively, you could begin with longer intervals of less intense exercise followed by short bursts of high-intensity work.
- EPOC is Key: The effectiveness of HIIT lies in the Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption (EPOC) – the increased metabolic rate that occurs after exercise. The more intense the workout, the longer the period of EPOC. So, go all in during your high-intensity intervals to maximize the benefits.
- Vary Intensity: Make sure there's a noticeable difference between your high-intensity and rest intervals. Slowing down to a walk during rest periods can help you regain energy for the next intense interval.
- Add Resistance: Intensity is not just about speed, but also power. Increasing resistance, such as incline on a treadmill, can up the weight loss ante and improve EPOC intervals.
- Fuel Your Body: Eating before a HIIT workout can improve performance and increase fat burning. Hydration is also essential to keep your body functioning optimally during and after exercise. Remember to start slowly and build up gradually to avoid burnout. Stay fueled and hydrated to perform at your best, and enjoy the benefits of HIIT.